To help stop the anti-life push in the world at that time, the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen encouraged the spiritual adoption of an unborn baby. This is done by praying that one particular but unknown child's life will be spared from abortion and allowed to continue to live. To help accomplish this, it was recommended that an individual say the daily prayer for a period of nine months.
St. Joseph, you who protected the Child Jesus and His Mother from the murderous hand of Herod, assist us especially in this undertaking.
Below is an outline of the program as it was done Fall 2015 - June 2016
Everyone loves the beauty and innocence of a baby. As an expression of that love, Saint Mary Parish members have “spiritually adopt” a child who was conceived.
Schedule of Program:
- Blessing of Spiriual Adoption Packets, containing knitted or crocheted blanket squares with a prayer card attached.
- Parishioners are asked to begin praying over the square for nine months to spare the life of a newborn baby.
- At the end of the nine months the squares will be collected and knitted together for the baby blankets.
- A baby shower will be held.
- Donated baby gifts and contributions will be collected at that celebration to be donated, along with the baby blankets, to a pregnancy center which helps mothers and their babies.
Volunteers are needed to help organize the various activities of the Spiritual Adoption Program. For more use contact information at top left.